How barramundi can boost your immune system
As we have adjusted our lifestyles for self-isolation and social distancing, our diet should not be neglected. Eating smart is key to kick starting your immune system and maintaining mental health. Staying strong and healthy means that your body can do a better job at protecting against illness and fighting bugs. Australian barramundi is a superfood protein LOADED with immune boosting benefits and can also help with weight loss.
Here are just three reasons why barramundi should be your go-to ingredient for staying healthy during quarantine!
- The Omega-3 benefits
- Helps with maintaining a healthy weight
- You can trust that Aussie farmed barra is free from harmful chemicals and antibiotics, and lower in mercury than wild caught fish.
All this food talk, making you hungry? If you’re looking to cooking delicious meals at home during self isolation, download our free recipe cook book that is filled with healthy recipes created by Australia’s best chefs.
The Omega-3 benefit
Australian farmed barramundi is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, 100 grams of an Australian farmed barramundi fillet provides between 2 – 4.5 times the National Heart Foundation of Australia’s recommendation for daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
But what makes omega-3 fatty acids so important? Omega 3 fatty acids have essential health benefits for your body and brain. Scientific evidence supports the role of long-chain omega-3s EPA and DHA, in the healthy development and function of the brain, eyes and heart, and studies suggest that Omega 3s fight inflammation and boost the immune system. such as:
- Boosting the immune system
- Helps with brain function and mental health
- Fighting inflammation
- Healthy development and function of the brain, eyes and heart
Australian farmed barramundi is delicious source of essential nutrients, and one serving can provide you with the following health boosters:
Omega-3 fatty acids
Improving the immune system and supporting brain health
Prevent tissue damage caused by free radicals
Enhance immune function
Helps with improving eye health
Promotes restful sleep and muscle strength
Helps with weight loss
That’s right, Australian farmed barramundi is rich in complete protein and low in fat! Making it the ideal protein for staying healthy and in shape.
When compared to other popular proteins, you’ll be surprised to discover that 200 grams of Australian farmed barramundi has:
- Less calories than salmon
- Half the fat of chicken and pork
- Three times more selenium than pork
- Less sodium than beef, lamb, pork and chicken
- Nearly three times more polyunsaturated fat than beef (a healthy fat that that can help reduce cholesterol levels)
- Less than a third of the fat found in lamb
When purchasing barramundi at your local fish shop or supermarket, support local farmers by asking for Aussie barra.
Free from nasties
When staying healthy during COVID-19, it is important to consider where your food is from. Australian farmed barramundi comes from some of the most pristine waters in Australia, and our farmers do not add any nasties to our beautiful barramundi. This means our Australian farmed barramundi is free from harmful additives such as antibiotics, hormones, or harmful chemicals.
If you’re looking to start cooking some delicious immune boosting meals at home, our free celebrity chef cookbook is filled with healthy dishes.
- Ruxton CHS, Calder PC, Reed SC, Simpson MJA. The impact of long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on human health. Nutrition Research Reviews. 2005;18:113-29.
- World Cancer Research Fund International. Expert Report Recommendations, 2007
- Rudkowska I, Marcotte B, Pilon G, Lavigne C, Marette A, Vohl M. Fish nutrients depress levels of tumour necrosis factor a in cultured human macrophages. Physiological Genomics. 2010;40:189-94.
- Grosso G, Micek A, Marventano S, et al. Dietary n-3 PUFA, fish consumption and depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. J Affect Disord 2016; 205: 269–281.